- Let's start with the wonderful use of accessories. I think there is something incredibly old-timey and classy about wearing jewelry over clothes. A gaudy necklace over a turtleneck, an oversized bracelet or (my favorite) rings over gloves, suddenly make everything look very chic and put together.
- Opera length gloves worn over a long sleeve and scrunched down always look super cool. If you need more proof please see Sasha Pivovarova in this month's issue of Vogue.
- Matching your sunglasses to your outfit feels very now and very decadent, especially since everytime I go to H&M I see a pair that I like. For 5 bucks, this is an awesome way to spruce up your life. Plus it's so ridiculous, and I love a bit of ridiculousness in my life.
- That crazy silver cooter-shaped leather cape thing. I don't know what it is, and she doesn't know what it is either, but I think we can all agree that it is totally RAD. Although not all of us can pull of a Georgia O'Keefe inspired getup, I think the point is to try to wear things that are unexpected and a bit weird, because they will end up working out super cool. My whole point this summer was to try to step outside my comfort zone when getting dressed and I think this picture is an awesome reminder to do just that.
- And finally, her wicked-cool attitude in this picture that says "Don't you just love me? I look great". A little bit of confidence never hurt anyone, especially when you wear it with a smile.
Inspiration is everywhere
This is my friend Meaghan playing dress-up when she was a kid. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this picture since I saw it a couple days ago, so I asked her permission to blog about it. I will now make a list of all the ways that this picture is awesome.